Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ventura County December 2009 Home Sales


Dataquick reported home sales for Ventura County for December 2009 today. Home sales came in at 896 up 2.3% YoY. The median sales price came in at $360,000 up 6.5% YoY. This report was a bit surprising to me because all of the data up through January 3rd (last time I looked) showed sales coming in down 10% YoY. The number of late reporters this year was much higher than normal by at least triple. Also the number of sales that aren't seen through my data sources were higher than average so my formula for predicting sales under predicted by much more than I have seen. This was the strongest December in the last 3 years but still a very weak sales volume. To put it in context if you look at the top chart you will notice this December doesn't even match the ultra-slow January/February sales volume for most years this past decade.
I still believe we will have a weak spring due to constricted supply caused by HAMP and higher mortgage rates. We shall see how things unfold this coming year.

No comments: